Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Window Frosting FTW!

This past weekend I solved my privacy problem - and my plants-not-getting-enough-sunlight-because-I-keep-forgetting-to-open-the-blinds problem. I realized that roughly 95% of my awkward neighbor sightings were coming from the bottom halves of my living room windows, and that if I ever wanted to look outside, it was usually through the top halves. So, frosting the bottom panes was the perfect solution. Since I'm renting, I researched temporary options (read: no contact paper) that had some sort of self-adhesion. I bought some window film from Lowe's not too long ago for a different project (I didn't have enough leftover for this one) and I wasn't too thrilled to realize it wasn't adhesive - I had to create a solution and spray it on, then smooth out the film... it was a bit of a pain, and since this new project had a larger surface area, I knew I wanted to try something different.

My photo (for texture comparison)
Introducing... window film for the win!

Stock Photo
 
I found this peel and stick film from Wal-Mart (I shipped it site-to-store) that is adhesive, removable, and highly-rated. It also wasn't too bad price-wise, at $11 a roll. The texture was a little different than the picture appears - it's almost like circular thumbprints with ridges. But, it works like a charm. I've had it up for a few days, and I love it - it's thick, solidly attached, and lets in light during the day. One major problem I had was that I'd always close my blinds at night and since I get up SO EARLY that the stars are still out, I kept forgetting to open them in the morning. My poor plants were starting to droop. By keeping my blinds pulled up partway all the time, light can always come in.

My windows before (people walk right up the sidewalk to enter neighboring apartments).
In progress... SO MUCH BETTER.
Done! I leave the blinds halfway to guarantee light for my plants,
since I can't for the life of me remember to open my blinds every morning.

I know, I still need curtains of some sort - it's a work in progress! Stay tuned! :)