Friday, May 17, 2013

Wedding Cross Stitch: Teeny Tiny Taj Mahal


I attended a wedding reception this past weekend for my friends who eloped earlier this year, and yes, I cross stitched a little something for the happy couple! Since I had just finished all of my grad work for the semester (and degree!) last Friday, that didn't leave me much time. It was sometime after midnight on Friday that I remembered that I didn't have any sort of gift for the following day.

Luckily, I already had this little frame on hand, which I picked up from Michaels not too long ago. It was so cute that I knew I could use it in some way - and it was perfect for this craft! As a rule, I don't really like putting pieces of cross stitch behind glass - it can be a tight fit, it negates their three-dimensional aspect, etc. So, when I pulled away the backing of my mini frame, I was pleased to discover that its 'glass' was really just a cheap plastic film, adhered to the backside of the frame itself.  A few slices with my Exacto knife, and I had what I wanted:

A few slices of the blade...



Such craftmanship... ha!











... and Ta-Da! A pane-less frame, painlessly achieved. ;)

At this point, it was probably something like 2am, so I left my prepped frame empty for the night. The next morning, I started brainstorming for pattern ideas. I wanted something meaningful for the couple, but not just their initials or something since it was already such a little piece. I began trolling their Facebook pages (shameless, I know) for ideas - mainly colors, at first (they are in the process of merging households). However, I stumbled on a cache of photos of their travels to India this past fall. If memory serves correctly, my friend joined his then-girlfriend as she was on a service trip to the country... though the details escape me. At any rate, during their time there they visited the Taj Mahal together and took a few adorable couple photos, which served as the basis for my inspiration.

Once I knew I wanted to cross stitch them a teeny tiny Taj Mahal, I set about finding a pattern (I'm not the best pattern-generator, even with graph paper [been there, tried that]). After casting about fruitlessly online, I remembered my QR code cross stitching experience and typed: "pixelated taj mahal" into Google (or something like it). While wading through those results, I finally hit paydirt:


I don't know what those beads are, or what this item is, really - I cropped the image down a bit (the original has INDIA spelled out underneath, and I didn't really think that was necessary). I would link you to the source page, but when I attempted to visit it via Google Image, my browser freaked out, saying it wasn't safe. So, I just captured a screenshot from the safer Google Image vantage point. After doing some math (translating the pattern onto Aida cloth in terms of size), I knew I had a solid winner. After rooting around my thread collection, I settled on a combination of burnished orange and gold for contrast.

The gold thread is a little bit of a pain to work with, to be honest - it has a more wiry constitution, if that makes sense. It was worth the mini hassle, though, because the mini Taj Mahal came out so well! What do YOU think?

Click to Enlarge









Yeah, I sneaked my initials in the bottom-right corner. The right image is for copying purposes, if anyone finds themselves in need of a solid miniature Taj Mahal cross stitch pattern. :P

I used double-stick tape to attach my cloth to the frame backing to hold it in place, which worked really well. In case you're curious, the project only took 3-4 hours total (I indulged in the ABC Family Harry Potter marathon while stitching). Here's my finished result: