Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Paper Chain Countdown


A few months ago, a chain made out of construction paper appeared in the teacher's lounge. It had alternating links of red and white (our school colors) and while it did lend an air of festivity to the place, I wondered aloud why it was there. Another teacher informed me that the art teachers had made it for a teacher who was retiring this year. Each link represents a day he has left, and at the end of every day he breaks one off. I must say, it's been fun watching that chain shrink these past weeks (c'mon summa time!), so when my mom, who is also a teacher, confided to me her shared eagerness for the approaching summer, I decided to make a little countdown chain for her to enjoy as well!

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

For my links, I selected a cheery yellow cardstock and selections from Sense and Sensibility - quite the combo, I know. ;) I wanted the chain to be travel-sized, since I was mailing it to her, so I made the links as small as I could (using my stapler as a guide).


After creating my chain of 29 links (the number of schooldays she has left!), I added a little clarifying tag to the chain's end. And yes, I'm the kind of person who purchases green staples. Because I can.


Luckily, I had the perfect-sized box to package my chain. After lining it with tissue paper, I coiled up the chain and nestled it inside. I tucked in a little note as well (Mary Call is a little inside joke, as I've previously mentioned). It's set to arrive this week (during which she's on Spring Break, conveniently, so I could safely settle on my number of chain links). It was such an easy craft, and I hope it offers her encouragement in the days to come!