Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Paper Medallions, Take Two

Paper medallions... such easy, cost-effective decorations! They are often used for parties (like mine!), but I decided they would be the perfect touch to my bathroom décor! As you can see, after my initial round of decorating, I still had a blank wall space left above my toilet that needed filling:

Pic from this previous post

So, I hit up Michaels one weekend and selected sheets of cardstock that coordinated with my shower curtain colors.

The tan was really the back of the gold (sticking out at the bottom)!

I also picked up a picture frame from Wal-Mart as a base for my medallion art. I wanted to thrift for one, but I didn't have time before that week's snowstorm hit (didn't it feel like they were weekly this winter??).

Original Frame
Frame with Glass and Backing Popped Out



Following steps similar to these, I scored, folded, and glued the cardstock into medallions of various sizes, which I laid out in a pattern on my frame. I wrapped it with a lightweight wire that I nabbed for cheap at Michaels after Christmas (it's a merry green, but since it isn't visible behind the medallions, it still works). This gave me a gluing base for the medallions.

... then I wrapped the wire.
I started by laying out the design...





















I used leftover scraps to ensure a solid hold and simply built it medallion-by-medallion - here's a set of front/back pics of the finished product:

Back, showing attachments
Front, all finished!


After attaching the medallions to the wire and molding it into shape, I affixed my new creation to the bathroom wall and ta-da! Beautiful. :P

Showing the matching sink/wall accents.
So much better than before! And it
matches better than the photo shows.